Everything you need to know about The Snake Diet plan including foods to eat, menus, FAQs, shopping lists, and more.
The Snake diet, and yes this is truly an interesting name for a diet, and yes it would be really fun to get someone’s reaction when you tell them you on on the Snake diet. However, the Snake diet is not eating the same things a snake would eat, it’s essentially a spin on intermittent fasting to train your body to eat the way that a snake does eat. Meaning that you spend a lot of time fasting and only eat only a few meals per week. It should be noted that this is definitely a fad diet and is not the same as intermittent fasting, and also not recommended as a healthy way to lose weight. The Sanke diet was It was invented by Cole Robinson, who calls himself a fasting coach and has a somewhat big social media following, but has no qualifications or background in medicine, biology, or nutrition. However, for those of you that are intrigued to learn more, please keep reading.
What is the Snake Diet Plan?
The Snake diet is essentially fasting along with drinking what’s called “snake juice”. Initially, you want to fast as long as you can usually 48 hours or two days. Then you are allowed to eat for one to two hours and then the fasting begins again. It is recommended that you only consume 3500 calories per week while you are trying to reach your goal weight. After you have reached your goal weight it was recommended that you eat 8500 calories per week. There are three phases that make up this diet. The first phase is an intro phase or detox phase, the second phase includes extreme fasting, and the final phase is the maintenance phase which dieters would continue as part of their lifestyle if you choose to continue on with the Snake Diet.
The Three Phases of The Snake Diet
Phase One (Intro or Detox Phase)
The first phase is to introduce yourself and your body to the diet and to help your body reach ketosis. Ketosis is when your body shifts from using up the fat in your blood from eating carbs for energy to using the fat stored in your body. Essential when your body is in ketosis it can help you to lose weight more quickly. To begin this diet you will eat a well-balanced meal and then begin fasting for a long as you can, up to 48 hours.
Then you are able to eat for one to two hours. During your time of fasting, you should be drinking snake juice along with apple cider vinegar with lemon in this first phase. It is also recommended that you should remain pretty inactive doing this first phase. The goal is to detox your body and your liver. After the first 48 hours are up you will eat again for one to two hours and then begin phase two.
Don’t know what to eat? You can follow what’s allowed in the Keto Diet. Your meals should consist of non-starchy vegetables, meats that are lean and high in protein like chicken, beef, fish, along with some healthy fats and things like nuts and seeds. These types of fuel foods will help you to keep full longer, especially when fasting.
In the second phase, you will again fast for at least 48 hours and up to 96 hours. Continue to drink snake juice while you are fasting and then eat again for one to two hours. You should stay in this phase until you have reached your goal weight. Once you have reached your goal weight you can move onto phase three, the maintenance phase.
Phase three is the maintenance phase or lifestyle phase. At this point, the idea is your body has grown customized to fasting and only eating for one to two hours at a time. So, now you would continue to fast anywhere from 24 to 48 hours and eat meals in between fastings.
How to Make Snake Juice
Here’s the recipe to make snake juice at home. Please note you MUST use this exact recipe to prevent you from getting sick and you should not drink more than one snake juice per day.
- 2L of water
- 1 tsp of potassium chloride (no salt brand)
- 1/2 tsp of sodium chloride (use Himalayan Pink Salt)
- 1 tsp of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda use the Redmill brand)
- 1/2 tsp magnesium sulfate (optional) (Food Grade Epsom Salts)
- *Add 8 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and a splash of lemon to your snake juice while you are in phase one of this diet.
Mix together and drink throughout the day.
Download our free checklists with the recipe for Snake juice (and what you should avoid.)
Foods to Eat on The Snake Diet
The Snake diet doesn’t specify exactly what foods to eat and not to eat while on this fasting diet. However, since you are spending more time fasting than eating, during your eating it would be recommended to eat more of a well-balanced diet. You can follow the guidelines for the Keto Diet. Here is a Keto food list that you can follow.
- Meats – for example, beef, ham, pork, and bacon
- Chicken, turkey, and other poultry
- All fish and seafood
- Dairy – half and half, cheese, grass-fed butter, yogurt, creamer
- Healthy Fats – Avocados, extra virgin olive oils, coconut oil
- Fruits – strawberries, blackberries, raspberries
- Egg – you can have them prepared how you like
- Vegetables – think “green” veggies and vegetables that are low-carb
- All nuts and seeds and all-natural peanut butter
- Artificial sweeteners – Stevia is shown to be the best option
- Condiments – salt and pepper, herbs and spices
What Foods Should you Avoid?
Here is a list of foods you will want to stay away from while on the Snake diet.
- Sugar, stay away from all sugar, from sugary drinks to cakes, to processed foods
- Grains, this is the second most important one. Grains are high in carbs. This includes all types of pastas, rice, breads, and any high processed carbs
- Vegetables high in starches, for example, potatoes
- Vegetable oils – any oil with a vegetable base
- Fruits that are high in sugar, examples are pineapples, strawberries, and even bananas.
- Beans, examples are kidney beans, black beans, chickpeas, etc
- Salad dressings, condiments, and sauces
- Diet foods and processed fats
- Alcohol – including wine, beer, and liquor
The Snake Diet Plan: Pros and Cons
Although Cole Robinson claims that this diet does have positive results, the cons deem this diet very unhealthy.
- Can cure type 2 diabetes (research hasn’t shown this to be true)
- This diet can also help with weight-loss
- This diet can reduce inflammation throughout the body
- Can cure types of herpes (research hasn’t shown this to be true)
- Cause better blood sugar regulation and reduced blood pressure
- Promotes an unhealthy relationship with food
- Very restrictive and causes a huge lacking in certain nutrients which can become dangerous for your health
- This diet is highly unsustainable, it’s not healthy to build a diet around starvation
- Can cause your body to become extremely dehydrated
Thank you for reading our guide on the Snake diet. Please feel free to download and use our free embedded checklists. This will be helpful when creating your menus and making your grocery shopping list.